Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dish towels

I just finished my first dishtowels! They were woven on the same warp but with different weft patterns. I wove the entire width of my loom although I think I read somewhere not to use the outside holes in the reed. I'm not sure why, it seemed to work fine - I'll probably learn someday.  The first towel was woven a bit loose, when I followed the pattern for the second towel - with the green stripes, I realized I was not packing the weft tightly enough, the pattern called for 7 green stripes in 2 inches. My first set was 5, the rest were 6. I don't have the recommended cotton shuttle ( they have a thin edge used for packing the weft tightly) so I packed each row with a metal ruler.  There are several pieces of equipment I have not acquired yet, I'm trying to make some myself or find things that will serve the purpose.

My next project will be another scarf. I'm going to try and document the progress in a sort of stop motion.


No comments:

Post a Comment